Keith Trimmer <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 24 Apr 1995 02:12:34 PDT
Let's have the conversation veer off in another direction for a moment here...

Background:  I own GAY-LIBN@USCVM (The Gay/Lesbian/Bisexual Librarians
Network).  The list is set to Subscription= By_Owner.  (I've considered
changing this to Open,Confirm, but haven't done so yet.  I don't accept
subscription requests which are clearly from bulletin board/newsgroup-type
redistribution lists.)  As a result, when Listserv receives a forged
subscription request, it simply sends it along, and I simply forward it
back, since nothing looks odd about the request.

Unfortunately, not all subscription requests are legitimate, and from time
to time, I receive death threats as a result.  (Never mind that the idiots
have already received no fewer than two separate messages prior to receiving
anything posted to the list that told them quite explicitly how to
SIGNOFF!)  ;-)

In the past, my reaction has always been along the lines of "Yeah, right!
You got a few e-mail messages you didn't want, so you're going to come to
L.A., track me down at USC, and shoot me?  Sure, you are!"  This whole
Oklahoma thing has me rethinking that position.  If these people are nuts
enough, they just may do precisely that.

Surely I'm not the only list owner out there to have experienced this.  What
did you do?  What constitutes adequate punishment/discipline?  Certainly, I
want his account yanked.  I wouldn't mind hearing that he was expelled.  I'm
not certain I want to take legal action, since that would presumably require
that I travel to Albany, NY in order to testify in court, but...  I'm not
ruling that out at this point.  (OTOH, such a course of action just might
make the little twit angry enough that once he got out, assuming of course
that he would actually get jail time for such an offense, he would *then* come
looking for me...)

I've sent a message to postmast@node, indicating my displeasure.  No response.
I called the number listed in BITEARN NODES, but the machine indicated that
the site has nobody around on weekends.  I expect a response later today.
What kind of response is acceptable?  [The threat was posted to the list
Friday morning and I saw it Friday night...]

Thanks in advance for your commentary on this issue.

Later,
kt