John Roraback PhD <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 9 Sep 1998 11:50:32 EDT
In a message dated 98-09-02 15:46:44 EDT, [log in to unmask] writes:

> >Just seemed to me that it would be logically consistent to add
> > the feature of indicating all avaialble TOPICS in the response
> > to the QUERY command. In fact, if the text in the QUERY response
> > message were customizable by the list-owner, I would probably
> > also add some text describing the other mail receipt options
>  >and the syntax of the commands for changing them.
>
>  John,
>
>  It's likely that those who know how to use QUERY, heck even just
>  those who know QUERY *exists*, don't need much help from us
>  list owners when it comes to figuring things out.
>
>  This change seems like lots of work for L-Soft to do for little return.
>  Perhaps modifying a periodic PROBE is a better way to go.
>  *Everyone* would get that message, you can put whatever you
>  want into it, and you determine its frequency.

Part of my earlier point was that I DO send periodic notifications of what the
established TOPICS are (as well as including them in the bottom banner along
with a concise description of how to send a command to alter mail receipt
options) but even this does not always click for folks.  I think that many
simply do not read things, nor save instructions, until they need them, and
then, often on a "desperate" basis.

And so far, I haven't seen much indication that there is a learning-curve
hierarchy in what subscribers learn about how to use LISTSERV. Rather, it
appears to be a spotty process, with what is learned first usually governed by
what the person has needed to use. Heck, I have subscribers who still haven't
figured out that to send a message for distribution to the list's membership
you must address it to the list's address!!

That's why I think that, where possible, it is a good practice to make
instructions available redundantly and interactively. And by making the
response to the QUERY command one which could be customized by the list-owner,
you are giving users another means of finding instructions at the time they
need them.

John Roraback