Stan Horwitz <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 7 Jun 1994 12:29:52 EDT
On Tue, 7 Jun 1994 15:22:49 +0200 Eric Thomas said:
>On Mon, 6 Jun 1994 21:21:23 -0500 "Robert A. Hayden"
><[log in to unmask]> said:
>
>>Well, I  would like to put  a tiny protest  into this. I think  that the
>>announcements should have gone to the lists, NOT to the people.
>
>The reason  we do  it that  way is that  many people  subscribe to  all 5
>lists. The  announcements can be rather  large, and getting 5  copies can
>definitely clutter  your mailbox or waste  a lot of download  time if you
>read your mail at home via POP.

Eric, I have a proposal which I  am posting here for discussion. For the sake
of brevity,  I won't  crosspost this  to any of  the other  Listserv oriented
groups that some of us get.

My  proposal  is simple.  Eric,  why  not set  up  a  list where  people  can
subscribe  to  it   if  and  only  if  they  want   to  receive  your  L-Soft
announcements? This might add  an extra layer of work in  order for people on
this list to subscribe to your group,  however, the idea still makes a lot of
sense to  me. In  a sense,  this is  what you  have already  set up  with the
difference being that each  of us would sign up on our  own without your help
from  whichever  network  address  we  want   to  use  in  order  to  receive
announcements from L-Soft.

This  way, those  of us  who subscribe  to Lstsrv-L  and Lstown-L,  etc. from
different addresses for each  list can get only one copy  of the postings and
we  can get  them where  we want  them. For  example, I  use one  account for
reading Lstsrv-L  mail and a separate  one for reading Lstown-L  mail so with
your  current method  of distributing  the  L-Soft announcements,  I get  two
copies of the  info. I actually don't mind the  multipication of information,
however, some  poeple I am  sure would  prefer to only  get one copy  of each
announcement.

Further,  you could  also put  L-Soft's announcements  on your  L-Soft list's
archive so  that people who miss  the initial posting of  these announcements
can get  them easily. What you  also might alway want  do is to post  a brief
announcement on other  related lists about the new  L-Soft announcements list
and any  new announcements as  those announcements  are posted to  the L-Soft
list. Does this make sense?

  Stan  Horwitz  Internet: [log in to unmask]  Bitnet:  STAN@TEMPLEVM
  Temple University  -- Senior  Consultant (My  views are  all mine!)
  Manager of the Help-Net and Suggest lists and Listserv Postmaster.