Russ Hunt <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 7 Aug 1998 09:20:48 AST4ADT
Mary --

Thanks for confirming my suspicion.  I'm particularly annoyed by this
one:

> that lovely trick from Microsoft where you get two, two, two
> messages in one. In almost every case, the poster had absolutely NO
> idea of the trouble that they were causing. A lot of the new mailers
> set these fancy bells and whistels as the DEFAULT, may they burn in
> ... well, Texas 125 degree heat these days ...

Amen.  I keep trying to tell people that email's _much_ more
difficult to handle now than it was ten years ago, and nobody
believes me.

> In the meantime, it's set the sizelimit for the long attachments,
> and then go poster to poster and explain about the smaller ones and
> why they're a pain (I copy what it looked like when it showed up at
> MY address -- take out a key symbol so it doesn't just reformat
> correctly when it gets back to them!) --

Problem is, of course, with a 600-member list and a dozen newbies a
week there's no way to explain all this.  I just hope they notice
thier own message when it comes back.  If it does.

> While we're at it, you'll have to tell a lot of new subscribers to
> turn off the automatic echoing, too.  My favorite is I think
> Microsoft Outlook, which is putting the entire replied-to message
> in the FRONT, then leaving a blank page to write on, so the writer
> doesn't even SEE it unless they happen to scroll up.  I have a lot
> of new posters come in and have no idea why they are sending all
> that extra baggage.

What I particularly like is how the repeated stuff makes the archive
unreadable . . . Micro$oft scores again, eh?

                                        -- Russ
                                __|~_
Russell A. Hunt            __|~_)_ __)_|~_           Aquinas Chair
St. Thomas University      )_ __)_|_)__ __)  PHONE: (506) 452-0424
Fredericton, New Brunswick   |  )____) |       FAX: (506) 450-9615
E3B 5G3   CANADA          ___|____|____|____/    [log in to unmask]
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~ http://www.StThomasU.ca/hunt/ ~~~~~~~~~~~~