Stan Ryckman <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 19 Jul 1999 11:07:43 -0400
G?ran Larsson wrote:
> The list is an "announcement only" and the risk of getting spammed
> seems a bit over exaggerated.

It's not spamming via the list (which you control); it's using the
list as a mailbomb by a third party (to bomb someone who's never heard
of you) (and of which you'd have no control by allowing open subs).

> All
> messages will have a bottom banner explaining how to end the
> subscription pointing to a web page with easy instructions.

Maybe the bombed party doesn't even *have* web access.  (IMHO, any
email lists should *ALWAYS* have email unsub methods anyway... why
should I need my TV remote control to turn off my car radio?)

Maybe you think your instructions are "easy", but a bombed party
could be faced with hundreds of different ones (as opposed to
hundreds of confirms to just ignore once... still a bomb, but doesn't
keep going off.)

Sure, your list would be just one of the pellets in the bombing,
but I think L-Soft made a wise choice by not allowing this, at least
via the web.

Once upon a time the internet was a friendly place (well, sort of...)

Cheers,
Stan