Wendy Howard <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 29 Jul 2006 16:09:10 +1200
Thought I'd bring this question here 'cos others may be interested in the discussion.

Our list is topics-based, and our understanding of how the topic is invoked in the subject line has been that the topic must be immediately followed by a colon to be effective.

A recent run of posts has shown us this is not the case, and a space between the topic and the colon doesn't negate it.

I tried searching the list owner's and user's manuals (http://www.lsoft.com/manuals/1.8e/owner/owner.pdf and http://www.lsoft.com/manuals/1.8e/user/user.pdf respectively), but while I found lots of information about setting up topics on the list itself and setting the topics a member wants to receive, I could not find anything about actually using the topic in the subject line (except an example of using two together).

Can someone please point me to a page in a manual that discusses using topics, what will work with them and what will void them?  We would like to revise the rules we've written for our members, but aren't sure what they are.  Don't want to confuse our members by telling them things are one way, and then have someone inadvertently demonstrate that another method also works.

Looking forward to your replies.  :-)

Kind Regards,
Wendy Howard
assistant to list owner, Guai-Support Group