Paul di Virgilio COMPUMED <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 24 May 1994 16:24:53 -0400

> >Who's the provider that's willing to connect pericles.com to the Internet
> >for the purpose of sending junkmail?
> >
> >/s Murphy A. Sewall <[log in to unmask]
> >   Professor of Marketing                          (203) 486-5246 fax
>

> from searching on rs.internic.net, it appears they are hooked up
> through PSI.NET
> This raises an interesting question...can a provider refuse to connect a
> domain because it thinks the domain will be misused?  Is it illegal?
> Against internet protocol?
>
> -Nate

   I don't believe that refusal on the grounds that they might commit
   a crime will work, because the restriction would never survive the
   simplest show cause which guarantees that current guilt not prior
   guilt must be proven in order to restrict freedom in this case
   freedom of speech. It would be the same as charging or treating
   someone like a criminal because you thought that they would commit
   a crime. Such cases reverse against those limiting freedom in
   charges of persecution where show cause inevitably means that the
   mailer would win since you cannot presume guilt based upon prior
   behaviour. Most of these people seem to be lawyers or well supplied
   with lawyers so it is not worth the trouble of challenging
   fundamental freedoms and tenets of law.

   -Paul

--

Dr. Paul S. di Virgilio,  University of Toronto  [log in to unmask]