j newton <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 2 Apr 2001 11:09:17 -0700
All your assumptions are correct as per my experience. That is how we
automated the problem of people not topic tagging correctly. I have a system
that watches for posts on the "other:" topic and sends of a friendly
reminder that they need to use topics as per the welcome letter and that
they can turn off the "other:" topic if they don't want to see un-tagged
posts. Despite the fact that replies to tagged posts often move off into
la-la land, it has cut complaining about off topics to absolute zero.

Now if I can just get the bounce problem automated...

---
James Newton (PICList Admin #3)
mailto:[log in to unmask] 1-619-652-0593
PIC/PICList FAQ: http://www.piclist.com or .org

-----Original Message-----
[mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of TheGolem
Sent: Monday, April 02, 2001 10:54
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: TOPICS

I just set one of my lists up for topics.

Am I correct in assuming that if they forget to indicate a topic that
LISTSERVER sends it as "OTHER", i.e.:

 [name of list] OTHER: (subject as stipulated by author)

And, OTHER does not have to be stiuplated for everyone to receive it, or
it can in  topic-defaults=
 And, in topic-defaults I can also stipulate "ALL" instead of enumerating
the topics and everyone is automatically subscribed to all topics until
they send a "set (name of list) TOPICS:ALL -(topic) to remove one of the
topics??

Hank

P.S. I didn't receive an answer about vis-a-vis my query about banners so
I assume it cannot be set up for more rotations than once daily?