Pete Weiss <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 13 Nov 1998 13:41:04 -0500
At 10:11 11/13/98 PST, Randy Klumph said:
|Am I correct that the following error is the result of a setting on the
|recipients side that sends an acknowledgement when the mail is
|opened? I haven't seen this error before, and I just want to make
|sure before I send her to her user support person.

You're right.  Previous comments on LSTOWN-L have addressed the specifics
of how to turn that useless and abusive feature OFF.  I did NOT write the
following (the full attribution can be found in the archives):

          -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

According to the Internet RFCs for SMTP, notification of message status
should be supported based on a request from the sender. Groupwise 4.1's
default installation of its SMTP Gateway sets an option, called Outbound
Status Level, to a value of "Open". The options are Full, Open,
Delivered, Undelivered, and None. Open means that notifications will
automatically be sent to senders (regardless of whether or not they
request them) for message opens, deliveries, and non-deliveries.

to quote from the gw nlm & os/2 4.1 smtp manual (page 43):

to restrict the outbound status, (run ad and edit the smtp gateway)
1: from the gateway information dialog box, choose _optional_.
2: choose _outbound status level_.
3: choose _undelivered_

IMPORTANT: if you choose _none_, you completely disable the outbound
status feature. this means users will not know if messages have not been
delivered.

4: choose _ok_ to return to the gateway information dialog box.
5: choose _ok_ to return to the system windows.

If you use Groupwise 4.1, please pass this information along to your
mail administrator. Feel free to forward this message to any other
mailing lists where you see these annoying "Message status - opened"
messages appearing.

Cheers,
Russ
R.C. Consulting, Inc. - NT/Internet Security
owner of the NTBugTraq mailing list: