Wed, 22 May 1996 02:47:56 -0500
> > I really do not understand what is meant here, so I have to ask:
> > What is "pre-moderation?"
>
> I'm using post-moderation now, i.e. if someone posts a message that breaks
> one of the list's rules, I handle that issue after the message appears.
> In pre-moderation, all messages are reviewed by a human before being
> approved for distribution.

I was rather afraid of that; what you are calling "pre-moderation" just
about all of the rest of us call moderation or "full-moderation."
You have open lists, semi-moderated lists(open to subscribers, moderated
for nonsubscribers), and moderated lists (everything has to be approved
first).  I don't think we need confusion from new terms and using old
terms in a manner most listowners probably will misunderstand.

What you call "post-moderation" I do not see as moderation at all. It's
pointing out the errors of his ways to a sinner, after the fact.  In list
terms, that isn't moderation.  In list terms, moderation means the review,
by a human, of items submitted for posting to a list.  They have to be
approved before they are posted. Jumping on someone after he's pulled a
no-no, which was posted to the list, is just the usual business of trying
to keep the herd going in more or less the proper direction.  It ain't
moderation.

As to work saving techniques for moderated lists some boiler-plate files
for different rejections (and missent commands, and "test" messages, etc.)
can be handy and save a lot of time (I don't use them, but many people who
handle more lists than I do).  And don't try to edit the stuff, it's
either "go" or "no-go."  If you take that to the extreme it is very simple
and fast, everything that comes in for approval is either approved or
deleted, no reply nor explanation. I'm not saying you should do it that
way, but it's a work saving technique if you want to use it (as with the
boilerplate, not something I generally use).  I generally figure that
if the list is worth the listowner's time, and it really does need to be
moderated, the senders of rejected items deserve a custom written reply
(on the assumption we aren't talking  a 200,000 sub list with traffic
of 500 items per day).  For a moderate list, 3000 - 4000, about 30 - 60
items per day, custom written rejection notices and explanations
about where commands are to go, etc. are no problem.  Just about anyone
could handle three lists like that at one time, as long as there are
no determined trouble makers.

Douglas
       Douglas Winship   Hays County, Texas  [log in to unmask]
                    Secondary AUTOCAT Listowner
                              MEDLAB-L