Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 21 Jul 1995 13:50:20 +0200
On Thu, 20 Jul 1995 12:21:54 EDT Wayne Smith <[log in to unmask]> said:

>I have a question  for the L-Soft folks: Let's say I have  a list A with
>Default-Options=REVIEW,  Send=Editor,Hold, and  Editor=me,(A),(B), where
>list B  is another mailing  list. What if B  was just for  my moderation
>policy and  not a  "real" list.  Could I institute  a "review  1st post"
>policy by just ADDing the poster to list B as NOREVIEW? Basically list B
>would exist  only as  a list  of addresses OK  to post.  (The underlying
>question is, would  LISTSERV look beyond the list  A REVIEW subscription
>to  the   list  B   NOREVIEW  subscription   and  approve   the  posting
>automatically?).

This  would   be  unpredictable.  You   are  telling  LISTSERV,   in  the
subscription  info for  the list  being posted  to, that  this particular
subscriber is  to go through  the editor for  approval. Then at  the same
time  you are  indirectly saying,  through an  auxiliary list,  that this
person is an editor and may  always post directly. In other words, you're
telling LISTSERV to  do something and its contrary at  the same time. One
of  the tests  is made  before the  other and  will determine  the actual
result,  but this  may change  as the  code is  modified. You  should use
another method. If  the user is already  on the list there is  no harm in
doing a new ADD command, it will have no effect.

  Eric