Sherry Beauchamp <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 26 Sep 2002 15:00:04 -0700
We're in the process of moving to using the DBMS interface with
Listserv and an Oracle database using SQL.  However, we seem to have
run into a problem.  Most if not all of our listname contain hyphens,
i.e.:

POL-ECON-PUB-CHOICE-WPS

Our developers tell us that the hyphen is a forbidden character, per
a SQL web site.

>authorization-name - An identifier that designates a user or group.
>Note the following restrictions on the characters that can be used:
>*      Valid characters are A through Z, a through z, 0 through 9,
>#, @, $ and _.
>*      The name must not begin with the characters 'SYS', 'IBM' or 'SQL'.
>*      The name must not be: ADMINS, GUESTS, LOCAL, PUBLIC, or USERS.
>*      A delimited authorization ID must not contain lowercase letters.

but Listserv tells us that the most logical substitution character,
an underscore, is not recommended:

>Note that the "_" (underscore) character may cause problems with
>some non-compliant receiving systems.

Many of our list members are in third-world countries and seem to
have a preponderance of non-compliant receiving systems.

Is anyone aware of a work-around for all this?  Simply dropping the
hyphens results in virtually incomprehensible list names.  We have
325+ lists we're talking about here!  Any assistance or insight would
be greatly appreciated.

Sherry Beauchamp

--

Sherry Beauchamp