"David W. Baker" <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 20 Apr 1995 13:17:43 GMT
In article <[log in to unmask]>, LISTSERV list
owners' forum <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Hooray for Best.com
>
> Actually, since it was directed to many, many lists, it might be grounds
> to end their connectivity now.

   Well, I can certainly understand a company wanting to give a client a
warning of inappropriate behavior before terminating service, and I don't
think it's best.com should be responsible for what Syllabus Press did
using another service provider. If *I* were providing service to
organizations and companies, I would make it clear that spamming would
violate the user agreement and necessitate immediate termination of
service. However, on the whole, I'm quite satisfied with the
responsiveness of best.com. Here's what I received in regards to my latest
message to them.

Take care,

--dwb--

---------------------begin forwarded message--------------------------
    Yup, your the second person to point out their background.  I have
    given them a more stringent warning.  If they spam the lists
    again it'l probably be their accounts (but please do not goad
    them into spamming, I'd have to give them the benefit of the
    doubt then).

                                        -Matt

:        Sorry for a duplicate message; I realized I improperly addressed
:the first one, and wanted to correct that.
:
:>    Yup.  I've informed syllabus.com of the inappropriateness of their
:>    posting.  If you have further problems, please email [log in to unmask]
:>    or [log in to unmask] and I will take additional action.
:
:        I appreciate your response, however, you should know that Syllabus
:Press has already sent such a spam message at least one time prior. On Nov
:7 1994, using the address [log in to unmask], they sent (what looks at a
:cursory inspection) the same exact spam. List owners who complained
:received the below attached form letter, which is inaccurate in its claim
:that the message was posted via the listowners - they spammed the lists
:directly without notifying list owners.
:        I understand that you can't be resposible for the past actions of a
:client under another service provider, but you certainly should be aware
:that this is repeat behavior for this client. I hope that Syllabus Press
:doesn't believe that what they might not have been able to get away with by
:using netcom, they can accomplish through your service.
:        Again, thanks for the personal message.
:
:Take care,
:
:David
:
:---------------begin forwarded message-------------------
:We've received and read with interest your comments about our recent
:posting to inform education professionals about how to obtain a free
:subscription to Syllabus by e-mail. First, we'd like to assure you that our
:intentions are to make sure that people who are interested in educational
:technology hear about the magazine and have the opportunity to request to
:receive Syllabus. Secondly, we'd like to point out that Syllabus magazine
:is offered FREE to qualified education professionals. Thirdly, we'd like
:you to know that we have gone through the owners of selected lists, rather
:than posting to the lists directly, in an effort to allow list owners or
:moderators to screen as appropriate.
:
:This is not an attempt to sell subscriptions over the Internet. We're sorry
:if this announcement is considered offensive by anyone, but we do want to
:distribute our message to those who might benefit from receiving it.
:
:Syllabus Press
:
:Syllabus Press [log in to unmask]
:
:David W. Baker | [log in to unmask] | <URL:http://www.netspace.org/users/dwb/>
:
:
:

    Matthew Dillon   VP Enginering, BEST Internet Communications, Inc.
                    <[log in to unmask]>, <[log in to unmask]>
    [always include a portion of the original email in any response!]

David W. Baker | [log in to unmask] | <URL:http://www.netspace.org/users/dwb/>