Dan Wheeler <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 8 Jul 1993 13:17:55 -0400
"Stephen W. Thompson" <[log in to unmask]> said:

> One of my favorite features for list owners in LISTSERV is the roughly
> year-old feature of errors having the list name prefixed to Subject
> lines so you can identify which list is the problem immediately:
>
> > Subject:      QUAKER-L: error report from EPCC
>
> A large class of error messages I get go to owner-listname, though,
> and seemingly skips the processing that identifies the list.

I think there are two quite different processes that generate
error messages.  In one case mail is sent and an error message
comes back.  The LISTSERV traps the error message and sends it to
the owner with a subject line like that above.  In the other
case, the LISTSERV mailer is unable to send the mail at all.  It
notifies the owner with a message like this (from Steve):

> From: <[log in to unmask]>
> To: <@VMD.CSO.UIUC.EDU:[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Undeliverable Mail
>
> Attempting to deliver following mail to recipient(s):
> vmd.cso.uiuc.edu unable to connect for 1 days to recipient host.
> Delivery will be attempted for a total of 3 days.

It is not the LISTSERV that generates the subject line, but the
SMTP mailer.  I'm not sure it is possible, but it would be great
to have a subject line that says something like:

Subject: QUAKER-P: No delivery to [log in to unmask]

I got about 40 "Subject: Undeliverable Mail" messages today.  I
read about every fifth one.  All were from the same system.  I've
already deleted the subscriber at that address, but these are
messages that are still in the queue.

I *hope* there weren't any problems lurking in the ones I deleted
without reading.

                          Peace,  Dan

<<  Daniel D. Wheeler          Internet:  [log in to unmask]  >>
<<  University of Cincinnati     Bitnet:  wheeler@ucbeh       >>