Ben Parker <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 7 Jan 1997 20:57:22 GMT
On Tue, 7 Jan 1997 11:34:52 -0500, Mentor Cana
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> How many lists are out there in the same situation having names similar
> to trademark-ed names? If I'm forced to change the name, what else is going
> to happen.

I had a similar experience although lawyers were never involved.  I 'own'
a list on Lsoft's Ease-Home hosting service.  I pay for it.  The name I
originally chose reflected the name of the organization (Boy Scouts) was
DPVC-L.  The local Scout council objected on the basis that my private
endeavor could be confused as an official function of theirs.  So I
changed the listname to DPRV-L (which comes from the Des Plaines River
Valley, a geographic feature of NE Illinois, that is unlikely to infringe
anybody's trademarks or other useage.)

In my case I wanted to remain friendly with the local council, since my
list is meant as a service to the organization members.  I changed the
name.
 Ben Parker ............ (Oak Park IL) .......... [log in to unmask]