Volunteers in Technical Assistance <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 18 Jun 1992 21:04:00 EST
On Thu, 4 Jun 1992 15:22:00 EST I said:

>I suppose every List Owner would like to reduce the numbers of
>seemingly unneeded Notices. Today I found 90 new messages waiting for
>me, of which 75 were in this category. With very few exceptions, the
>notices concerned messages sent days ago to List subscribers whom,
>more recently, I had changed to NOMAIL.  Here is an extract from one
>of the messages:
><extract starts>

>Your message could not be delivered to:
>Your message has been enqueued and undeliverable for 6 days.
>The mail system will continue to try to deliver your message
>for an additional 6 days.

<extract ends>

Two persons were kind enough to comment. Both indicated that about the
only remedy was to persuade the notice-generating postmaster to do one
or both of the following: (1) hold the nondelivered mail for a shorter
time; (2) omit sending notices on intermediate days.

politely to postmasters at three offending nodes. One postmaster
replied that the flood of notices from his site was caused by a
technical error, now corrected. There was no response from the other
two sites and the messages ran their course as promised.

I am left with the impression that this failure is, essentially, an
unchangeable feature, or bug, in the system.

-Rafe-

R.R. Ronkin, VITA Volunteer
Volunteers in Technical Assistance
<vita@gmuvax> or <[log in to unmask]>