Mike Holloway <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 18 Aug 1995 18:54:14 -0400
Could you please point me in the right direction for anti-spam configuration
information for the clueless?  I've downloaded the August post archive for
listown-l and have succeeded only in confusing myself and wasting much more
time than I can afford.  All I've been able to understand so far is that
there may be a way to monitor only non-subscribers' messages, which would
not include Netnews gateway messages.  This is exactly what I need, but the
posts alluding to it in the archives are contradictory and incomplete.

Re: Spam-l
I'm not interested in discussing spam.  I'm just looking for information,
and I suspect, based on my very brief experience after finding lstsrv-l two
days ago, and lstown-l today, that other beleagered list owners are doing
likewise.  I've been looking for information for several weeks now.  All
I've found till the last two days is news.admin.net-abuse, and that has no
information about confirming lists to filter spams, only schemes for making
it expensive for the real determined spammers.  What would be nice is a
archive tip file, or a FAQ, for totally clueless list owners, like me, who
haven't the first idea of how to deal with this recent phenomenon of
listserv spam.

Mike Holloway               |* On average, 8 people a day on the waiting list
[log in to unmask]    |  for a transplant die for lack of a donor.
____________________________|* The end-stage diseases treated by transplant
  do not recognize age, race, nationality or pocketbook.
* There is no justifiable reason to deny organ donation, but many myths and
misunderstandings.
* Next of kin must allow donation.  Your family must know your wishes.
* Only a small fraction of the next of kin of potential donors allow
  donation to take place.
* In general, medical professionals do not recognize their obligation to
  support and promote donation.
Questions? See FAQ:
http://www.lib.ox.ac.uk/internet/news/faq/bit.listserv.transplant.html
or
ftp://rtfm.mit.edu/pub/usenet/bit.listserv.transplant/