Wed, 1 Jul 1998 23:39:15 -0500
Getting back to the question of Topcs=, I've questions as to the
difference between NONE and ALL.  This is 1.8c, not 1.8d.

If the list has never had Topics the default is of course NONE.  One
decides to put in limited topics, say Topics= Jobs,Meetings One wants the
default to be that everyone gets everything, as at present, regardless of
whether someone puts in one of the Topic tags or not. Will leaving the
default as NONE achieve that?

If so, will those who elect to remain NONE see the topic tags, or not (as
in Subjectheader where those not set to Subject never see that tag)?  That
is a big issue with some adamantly opposed to using Topics, they want to
get everything and they do NOT want those silly topic tags clogging the
subject line, they want to see the REAL suject line, uncluttered.  So,
will those set NONE get everything, or not?  If they do get everything
will they see the topic tags?

I would like for it to work that way as then those not interested in
Topics will need do nothing.  If it doesn't work that way we'll have to
put in an explicit Default-Topics=         Correct?
Should that be Default-Topics= ALL  ?
Keyword memo says one can't use it in Topics=  but I don't recall a
prohibition about using it in Default-Topics=

A little speculation, based on the assumption we can leave the default as
NONE.  Those who want it just as it is presently (no Topics) need do
nothing.  Those who want to get everything EXCEPT the two explicit topics
(when people put them in properly on posting) would do a
SET listname TOPICS: ALL -JOBS -MEETINGS
Correct?
What do they do if they want ONLY the JOBS postings that are so
tagged?  Will SET listname TOPICS: +JOBS    do the trick or must
they explictly exclude ALL and MEETINGS ?
i.e.   SET listname TOPICS: -ALL +JOBS -MEETINGS

Everyone knows more about Topics than I: never used them for any of my
lists and never subscribed to a list that does use them, that I know of.
Keyword memo (yes, Nathan, I've got the Dec. 12, '96 version from LSOFT,
not the '95 version I mentioned earlier) doesn't explain everything, so I
ask questions.

Douglas