Wed, 30 Sep 1998 22:52:36 -0500
I don't want to speak for Jim Gerland, but the rules at Buffalo, once you
have established that there is local interest and have local faculty or
staff to "sponsor" the list, are pretty loose.  It is more or less assumed
that the listowner knows what he is doing and will go forth and do good.
Once the list is set up no questions will be asked unless the listowner
totally screws up and Jim is flooded with complaints.  The listowner knows
what he's doing and keeps his list on track for the purpose for which it
was established, realizing that certain things are proscribed and it is
the job of the listowner to take care of such things, he is not bothered
by reference to petty codified rules.

If Jim has codified any rules on this for Buffalo I have never seen them;
I just have the tacit understanding that I am to do my job as listowner
and ensure that the list fullfills it's purpose and I, as listowner, do
not allow it to become a problem for Buffalo.

Are there codicies?  As it is a university I imagine some administrator
has prepared such, but I've never seen them nor been informed of them.
For that you would need to ask Jim Gerland, the LISTSERV andministrator,
plus a lot else.    His address is   [log in to unmask]

Douglas