Rich Greenberg <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 16 Nov 2005 10:56:34 -0500
On: Wed, Nov 16, 2005 at 09:46:16AM -0600,Hal Keen Wrote:

} > Not specifically the attachment size, but yes on the overall size.
} > Either in lines or in bytes.
} >
} > In the header:  Sizelim= number | numberK | numberM
}
} As a practical matter, you might find yourself explaining a lot when you do
} this. Contributors tend to have a fair amount of trouble figuring out the
} way the size limit works, largely because the size of a file is considerably
} less than the chunk of the limit it eats up as an attachment.
}
} I've put painfully exact details online for my subscribers, so I can just
} send this URL when they ask the same questions I've already answered:
}   http://www.ieee802.org/1/email-pages/sending.html#spsze

Hal is correct here, but I would like to add one detail that I forgot in
my original note.  The limit used to be by number of lines only.  Some
mailers do not insert linends except between paragraphs, and that makes
a long line of up to 1024 characters be counted as one line.

Specifying K or M gets around this.

--
Rich Greenberg N6LRT Marietta, GA, USA richgr atsign panix.com + 1 770 321 6507
Eastern time zone.   I speak for myself & my dogs only.     VM'er since CP-67