"David B. O'Donnell - AOL" <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 4 Oct 1996 12:04:30 -0400
In a message dated 96-10-03 15:25:32 EDT, [log in to unmask] (Duane Campbell)
writes:

>  --I have seen several spams coming from AOL, some from people who have
other
>  Net access but like the relative anonymity of an AOL address.

With over 6,000,000 members, *some* of them are going to be abusers. It's
unavoidable. We do, however, take that abuse seriously and take action
against members who are reported. (If you decide to do so, please check the
headers on the mail/post first, to make sure you aren't reporting a forgery
from *another* site. This is quite popular today.)

>  --EVERY flame war on my list over the last couple of years has been
started
>  and fueled by an AOL address.

I'm sorry to hear that. Every flame war on my lists have been started by
users on other services; however, I don't believe in blocking everyone on a
site because of a few "bad apples". If your list rules preclude flame wars,
than any AOL member who starts or participates in them is in violation of our
user agreement and should be reported.

>  --But mostly, I hate waking up in the morning to 150 bounced messages from

> AOL mailboxes that are full.

My philosophy on this has been that if a member is incapable of keeping their
mailbox at less than 550 pieces of online mail, then clearly they don't need
to be on my lists. Our mail development people are working on modifications
to our mail system to make it compatible with LISTSERV's error handling
mechanism, so at some point within the next few months you should see a
decrease in reported errors.

--
__ David B. O'Donnell ([log in to unmask], [log in to unmask])
\/ AOL Internet Development Outreach and Technology Manager