Bob Wier <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 20 Apr 1995 13:23:19 -0600
At 10:43 AM 4/20/95 -0400, P. Divirgilio wrote:
|  In Canada, your mother's maiden name is used for every kind of
|  security imaginable from credit cards to access to the privy council
|  as far as I can tell. I encounter it everywhere I go and for me it
|  recalls some rather painful memories related to her death. I think
|  that they just believe in motherhood. I had a super mother who was
|  100% Canadian as they say here tue blue. -- Paul.

|--

|Dr. Paul S. di Virgilio,  University of Toronto  [log in to unmask]

This was sufficiently interesting that I searched out a hard copy of
Syllabus (I get their printed version already). The most recent one which
came to hand was from last July/August, just after they had changed their
name from HEPC (Higher Education something or other/Computers?). They did
NOT ask mother's maiden name on the hardcopy sub form. They also had a base
subscription rate of $24/yr but offered free subs to educators (I don't pay
for it myself - although occasionally I find some stuff in it mildly
interesting).

If you'd like to contact the higher ups about the spam - here's what's
listed on the masthead, although as pointed out, they may no longer get
mail there...

Editor John P. Noon [log in to unmask]
Assoc Pub/Advertising Sales David Kastriner [log in to unmask]
Senior Editor Mary Grush [log in to unmask]

They note there were 61,204 copies printed that issue.

 --    Round Up the Usual Disclaimers!     --
Bob Wier, CS Dept., East Texas State University
   [log in to unmask] - keeper of the
    Motorola MC68HC11, Photo-3D, SD3D,
Icom Radio and Overland Trails mailing lists