Gene V Glass <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 24 Mar 1993 14:24:28 -0700
On Wed, 24 Mar 1993 13:59:24 CST Jeremy Butler said:
>    I know one can get the stats for the use of a list, but is there also
>    some way to get info on the use of a FILELIST--like how many times a
>    particular file has been requested?

    I am also eagerly awaiting an expert reply to Jeremy Butler's question.
 If such a feture were possible, it could solve a very significant practical
 problem that I have faced in creating an electronic scholarly journal.
 The first response of any network-naive colleague of mine to the notion of
 a non-selective open journal is that they wouldn't bother with it because
 articles of "low quality" could infiltrate. (As any of us knows who has edited
 a scholarly journal, peer review is a fallible way of ensuring quality.)
 Finally I bent to their attitudes and started an e-journal that is peer-
 reviewed in the traditional sense.  Speed of light submission, speed of
 light publication and three weeks to get the reviewers to judge the
 submitted article (it makes no sense, of course).
     Some skeptics have agreed that an archive of articles with an counter
 attached that would allow one to access "often-retrieved" articles would
 be a fairly acceptable alternative to peer-review. The assumption is, of
 course, that word of mouth will advertise good work, and good and important
 work will often be retrieved.
      Consequently, a counter on archives could do more than just
 satisfy idle curiosity. Is there one already? Could there be one in the
 future?

GENE V GLASS                                    ATGVG at ASUACAD.BITNET
College of Education
Arizona State University       Internet Address:[log in to unmask]
Tempe, AZ 85287-2411                            [log in to unmask]
602-965-2692