Dan Robinson Indexing Services <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 27 Oct 2000 11:27:27 EST
Going back to ancient (in computer years) history.... 80 characters
was the number of columns on the IBM punch card. And 79
characters is still the line limit for many IBM lines. The 80th
character is a check character (i think. it's been awhile) On the
web, a line can go one forever... or at least it seems that way. It
may not be related, but I'm suspicious when the same numbers
turn up in many different places.

Dan Robinson