dennis hickman <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 2 Apr 2001 20:44:05 +0200
We use the TOPICS option (which provides -- in effect --- up to 15
sub-lists, within your main list) but I purposely choose to send all
mis-tagged (or untagged) messages to the OTHER "channel" rather than
to the ALL members automatically (which I understood was an option in
the software).

Then I make sure that NO ONE, except by list managers select to
receive the "OTHER" channel, by choosing only 8 of our 12 topical
"channels" (as we call them) to new members AND ALSO by sending,
periodically this command to th server:

SET CETEFL-L TOPICS: -OTHER for *

In this way, no one will receiving it, except my managers (and the
digest/index recipients, who get all the messages anyway.)

WHY DO I DO THIS?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Simple..... In this way most of the common viruses are filtered out
of the system.  I get them, my managers get them (and hopefully can
deal with them), the digest/index recipients get them (but the digest
is not enabled for attachments in which viruses hide, or so it
seems).  So we get pretty good coincidental protection from these
viruses for no extra effort.

Members learn to use the system, or accept that fact that no one will
get their messages.
(Reposting messages to the group proper requires only changing the
first two lines of the message, to evade the duplicate-message
filter, which will remember the message from the first, mis-posting.)

If anyone wants more information on the TOPICS option, I can tell you
how it has worked for us, this last 16 months (after moving from
another server, specifically to gain this option).

Dennis Hickman