Tue, 15 Aug 1995 21:36:24 -0500
Judith,
  I'm sending a cc of this to Pat Letendre (MEDLAB-L, you may recall
we got her list moved to UBVM couple of months ago) who asked me almost
precisely the same question.  In fact, her note was the one which followed
yours in my email.

These people sent me this form letter question about using the AUTOCAT
archives several months ago while you were gone and I was running
everything on my own.  I honestly don't remember if I deleted it with no
reply or sent an answer of "No" but it was one or the other.

These are people who want to use our archives, which are copyrighted,
and created and maintained at public expense (taxes), for their private
financial gain.  Their "search" service is no service as LISTSERV has a
built-in, very good archive searching program.  If you can do boolean
searching in a library opac you can do a LISTSERV database search.

And keep in mind that our policy is that the copyright of all items posted
to AUTOCAT are the property of the individual authors, they retain the
copyright.  If these people want to get permission, and maybe pay
royalties, to every single poster of every item in the archives (remember
we're talking almost six years of archives here) fine.  If not, they can
get lost as far as I'm concerned.

Douglas

       Douglas Winship   Hays County, Texas  [log in to unmask]
                    Secondary AUTOCAT Listowner
                              MEDLAB-L