Murph Sewall <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 10 Aug 1996 12:19:16 -0400
On Thu, 8 Aug 1996 11:26:59 -0400 Joan Korenman wrote:
>        I received a request this morning from a professor in Canada
>asking whether she can include messages from my list in a packet of
>materials that her students will buy.
>
>...since the discussion will be in a packet of materials that will
>be SOLD, I'm not sure whether "fair use" applies.  I am fully sympathetic
>with her university's asking students to buy the materials: few universities
>can subsidize extensive xeroxing--that's not the issue.  The issue concerns
>how copyright applies to limited educational use of a list's logfiles, and
>whether selling the reproduced material changes things.

Suppose instead, the students buy a single sheet with detailed instructions
of how to retrieve the desired messages from the logfiles.  Other than the
redundant use of bandwidth, what's different?  Some third party doesn't get
to make a (probably modest) profit and instead we all share the cost of the
multiple bandwidth utilization (does this make sense)?  What else?

-Murph