Wayne T Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 23 Aug 2005 02:01:28 -0400
Thanks or the replies ... response below ...

Pete Weiss wrote:

>At 10:54 8/18/2005 Thursday, Wayne T Smith wrote:
>

>>At least with a typical "vacation" program, we usually know the
>>subscriber and know the effect is transient.
>>
>>What to do?!?  (I'm NOT going to suggest posters click to the
>>DROP SPAM dot COM website!).
>>

>[Actually, some OOO don't properly ID the original recipient address.]
>
>I would contact both the recipient's mail admin as well as the company that develops said anti-spam software and let them know that they have a B.A.D. [broken as designed] product when dealing with mailing list managers, especially those that are "double opt-in" [such as when a LISTSERV(R) list is SUBSCRIPTION= OPEN,CONFIRM].

Perhaps I wasn't clear ... I don't know the recipient!  dropspam.com is
the sender of the message, so I don't even have a clue as to the
recipient or her domain (many hundred subscribers to the list).

The list owner did contact dropspam.com (with threat of legal action)
and dropspam.com opened the list to the subscriber.  So my problem is
resolved for this list and this subscriber, but if dropspam.com becomes
popular, we all could be hit, again and again.  The response gave no
indication they knew their software is broken, but that might be
expected from a front-line tech support.

As for double opt-in, ... my list has most subscribers ADDed by the list
owner.   Should my list owner require double opt-in, the problem would
be tough, but a bit more manageable: LISTSERV's confirmation request
would not get through to the client (I'm not sure where LISTSERV would
send the DROPSPAM.COM "Huh?" message, but maybe LISTSERV site maintainer
... with no idea which list or client is involved).  The client would
hear nothing back, and *maybe* would find someone to write to (not
-request, which requires confirmation!).  So client is probably lost to
list, but at least my list owner wouldn't be bugged on every list post!

Thanks again and cheers, wayne