Michael Shannon <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 13 Jun 2002 10:42:41 +1000

> > You can't ask for the unlisted lists.... you can simply get the option
> > to access archives of an unlisted list if you know the list name.
>
> And that is my point.  There should be no option to get to,
> nor even the
> slightest hint that there *are*, "confidential", "unlisted" lists.
> If you say that there are unlisted lists you are challenging
> certain types
> of people to hack in, which they can and will; point of honor.

If you want them truly Confidential with no web access then disable web
browsing of the archives.  For Site Admins it's simply deleting (or not
creating in the first place) the directories for <listname> in the web root.
If you're an Owner with remote access (eg. hosted by L-Soft) then you can
choose to *not* have a web archive available.

This way the only point of access to the notebooks is via email from an
authorised address.  No web acces.  No embarrasing 'there's secret stuff
here, but no peeking' templates.  No waving of red flags to point to a
'confidential' list.

Problem solved.

--
Chazzozz!!

Michael Shannon
Webmaster

"Before you can grow old and wise you must first survive being young and
stupid." - Ancient Proverb

Note: Opinions expressed on this list are my own and do not reflect the
views, opinions or position of my employer.  If swallowed, seek medical
advice.