Jacob Haller <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 23 Aug 2001 13:44:59 -0400
>Any advice?
>
>I am setting up LISTSERV for the first time.  I am creating a moderated list
>which will function in an announcements
>only capacity.  The audience are the employees in our organization.  Our
>previous listserv software did not require passwords.

What method of authentication did it use?  What are people doing that
requires that they have passwords?

>Because I have had no luck in finding a way to remove the password
>requirement; the administration has asked that I pre-set the passwords for
>each individual.  I will be doing a batch upload initially.  Can I set
>passwords as part of this function?  If not, I will be asked to individually
>set each employee's password myself before releasing this new list.
>We are talking close to 1,000 subscriptions-it could take me forever!  (Many
>of our employees are technologically challenged and administration does not
>want each person to create their own password when they first use the
>system.)

The command to set a password for someone is:

| +--------------+
| | PWC function |
| +--------------+
|
| Password file management:
|
| ADD user newpw    Define a password for the specified user
| DELete user       Delete password for that user
| Query user        Query the password of the specified user

The command would need to be issued seperately from the bulk add (it
could be issued before or after), but you can issue more than once
command in a single message:

        PWC ADD first@user firstpw PW=your_password
        PWC ADD second@user secondpw PW=your_password
        [etc]