Eric Paul-Hus <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 27 Sep 1996 06:06:45 -0700
I can hear the Freedom of Speech nuts (we all have some on our lists ;-)
Yell: Say what! How dare a human has to touch my messages electrons and
deprive the worls of my prose!

Using topic would be a good method but would require the Free Speech
clan to have "some" confidence in the Editor. But usually to them the
Editor is that Big Brother Evil Creature that will delect her/himself by
delete those message in the night with a grin... It is a common illness
caused by acute need for liberalism and coupled by a latent (and acute
;-) paranooa...

I Sympathize with the problem...

What about 2 lists MOD-L and UNMOD-L

UNMOD-L
Send=Public *hell they wan't unmoderated*
OK :-( Send=you,(UNMOD-L),(MOD-L)
Sender=None (Header From: is still there to indicate source)
* Maybe Sender=None  (ditto for the From:)
* more if no sender let the reject notice go the From: field
A Sub'ed user MOD-L that will forward everything
and is filtered out... It's a one way ticket.
(So reject posts are not bounced to other list,
if LISTSERV takes the From: as the address
for the reject notice than every thing is OK)

MOD-L
Editor=You
Reply-to:UNMOD-L,Ignore
Send=Private,Semi-Moderated,Hold,Confirm
* don't tell anyone about the Urgent: bypass ;-)
* unless Send=Private,Editor,Hold,Confirm is valid
* that would take care of the mispost to MOD-L
Non-sub bounces...
Sub'ed mail gets to you for release
Not confirm, it dies ...
With luck (and no Sender:) reject notice goes to the reply-to: field

Everyone posts to UNMOD-L

People answering a post need to either:
For UNMOD-L subscribers
CC:the list (2 copies for the destinee)
Overwrite the To: field with UNMOD-L
So for the open list it leads them to *private*
response first, that can always change it they feel
the reply *must* be public ...

For MOD-L subscribers
Just use the reply function
(That will forward the popst to UNMOD-L) So for the open list
it leads them to *private* response first, that can
always change it they feel the reply *must* be
public ...

Those who want edited version SUB to MOD-L

Those who want freedom SUB to UNMOD-L
*not needed if UNMOD-L is Send=Public ;-)*

Everyone posts to UNMOD-L

People ansering a post need to either:
CC:the list (2 coppies for the destinee)
Overwrite the To: field with UNMOD-L

With that kind of a setup, I guess you should be
sure your account is working all the time cuz if you
loose a post no one will know except the list

Pfff! I'm having a headache now. You are sure about not
having the "editorially challenged" in a unmoderated
newsgroup gateway ?

Have fun and post the reults !

--
Eric Paul-Hus, BLUES-L