Show Text Part by Default
Show All Mail Headers

Topic: [<< First] [< Prev] [Next >] [Last >>]

Print Reply
Michael McNeil <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 18 May 2001 16:41:13 -0700
text/plain (25 lines)
Don,

If a list is configured as Reply-To=List,Ignore, NOPOST will prevent acceptance for distribution of email from the infected machine.  I had a laptop infected while my AV protection was dysfunctional for an afternoon, and the worm sent to two (non list subscriber) senders of email via their Reply-To address, not their From address.   That alone would cause received posts to be sent the list but not distributed rather than Senders in the absence of Reply-To=Sender.

I have had no reports from subscribers on any of my lists being infected, which they certainly would have been by me during those few hours had the worm acted on the From header.  The worm attempted to send to LISTSERV via a non-owner subscribed address logon from my laptop, resulting in rejected 'posts' which I became aware of when I received the rejection notifications (Attachments=No), being my first indication of infection.

However, I favour setting a subscriber to DIGEST, simply in case of a worm sending to either the From or Reply-To addresses, allowing them to continue to receive posts.

Michael

At 07:44 PM 5/14/01 -0400, you wrote:
>Michael McNeil wrote:
>
>>If you set a subscriber with an infected machine to NOMAIL, they can still
>>post to the list and spread the worm.  Setting them to NOPOST will prevent
>>an infected machine from distributing the virus to the machines of other
>>subscribers.
>
>NO. You clearly have not read the page on this virus. Posting to the list
>does not spread it. Having unread e-mail in your inbox five minutes after
>you boot is the only time it is spread.
>
>Don.

ATOM RSS1 RSS2