Mike Holloway <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 11 Nov 1995 14:24:56 -0500
>        I would suggest, by the way, that in the future, if people want
>to publicize the doings of spammers, they not reproduce much of the message.
>It would be especially good not to include the product's specific features
>nor where/how one can obtain it.  Why give the spammer's product any more
>free publicity?

Before someone suggests moving this discussion to SPAM-L, there's an issue
that needs to be raised here, in LSTOWN-L.  I don't want to criticize, I
just want to be certain that you all are aware of what's happening.  First
off, the information "where/how one can obtain it" is usually necessary for
protesting the spam.  When posting about a spam, presumably to SPAM-L,
please do edit out as much of the spam as you conveniently can, but please
include the contact information, even PO box info.

Protesting is working.  Service providers are slowly beginning to assume
responsibility by establishing clear usage rules that forbid mass posting.
AOL, for instance, has taken the trouble to start denying access to AOL
accounts that are used for contact information in a spam, regardless of
whether the spam originated from there.  Much of this has come about through
the expression of concerns from other service providers, as well as those
listowners who've taken the time and effort to try to do something about the
problem.  The less responsible service providers have to be encouraged to
follow suit.  Some of the more persistant spammers are finding it much
harder to conduct their "business" simply because the news of their
activities are being passed around by concerned individuals.  Note, for
instance, the Spam King web page:
http://www.emerald.net/soren/spamking/

You can see that the software methods included in new versions of Listserv,
while incredibly useful, are not in themselves sufficient to eliminate the
problem.  Internet communication is slowly adjusting to private ownership.
The "rules of the road" are still being established.  I'd like to encourage
all of you to get involved and help get things organized.  When you receive
news of a mass posting, quickly find out what you can about it, and protest
to whatever service providers are involved.  If you have something new to
add, let the rest of us know.  Ignoring it makes you a part of the problem.

Mike Holloway