"Matthew Simpson" <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 22 Jan 1993 16:26:21 EST
On Fri, 22 Jan 1993 12:24:12 EDT Diane Kovacs said:
>Also, having the group "gang up" on miscreants is a bit adolescent imho.

I would like to clarify something here.  On The PSYCGRAD Project, there
are explicit guidelines of what is acceptable and what is not.  The one
main thing that is not acceptable is flaming (eg. saying someone's ideas
or methods are adolescent).  Now, on our lists, if someone flames another
person, it is not encouraged that the flamee return the favor or
merely complain to the list.  A more constructive approach is taken.
The issue is immediately taken off of the list, voluntarily, into private
realm.

As a result of this policy, people who flame are corrected (perhaps by many)
via non-public communication.  The flamer is allowed to save face and
withdraw from heated pursuit.  The message is not as adolescent as the
above speaker suggests, where perhaps people "gang up" on other for unfair
reasons.  Rather, there are clear boundaries over which when someone
crosses, clear consequences can be anticipated.  This is a simple and
fair policy which maintains the integrity of PSYCGRAD where other lists
may "fall apart" as the above speaker says.

So, as a point of clarification, this policy may not work on other peoples'
lists for whatever reason.  And that point may be well taken.  However,
on our lists, it does not operate in an adolescent manner, and the
subscribers are quite happy with the management.  Perhaps I had not made
that clear in an earlier posting.  My apologies.

 | _  l  _  * Matthew Simpson          * BITNET:                      |
 |  \_l_/   * School of Psychology     * [log in to unmask]        |
 |    l     * 145 Jean Jacques Lussier * INTERNET:                    |
 |    l     * Ottawa, Ontario K1N 8P5  * [log in to unmask]    |