Kathy Forer <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 2 May 2007 22:00:12 -0400
Even my very nice Mac Mail.app will add these extraneous marks if
there is so much as a single non-ascii character.

Someone might type an entire email, all ascii and smooth, then copy/
paste
4′33″ from firefox/wikipedia, let's say,
and it will throw the whole message into showing the quoted-printable
characters. Replying to a post that has the = characters will also
throw it into "ugly" mode. Just making sure it's Text Only and not
Rich Text (Mac's Mail.app format), isn't enough, they show up in Text
only.

If I remember, I'll copy a questionable post into BBEdit and select
Text > Convert to ASCII, but sometimes I'll forget. It's a non-
technical list and the people can only be trained so much. To get
them not to quote the entire digest or to abandon html is
significant. We can't expect too much more.

Shouldn't there be a way to eliminate such characters on the Owner/
Admin level? One tech list I'm on, using a custom ezmlm/idx, somehow
manages to eliminate all these characters, even when someone adds
something like a left double quote, “, or any other of the option
extended character sets.

LISTSERV works very well for this other group, but the combination of
=20s and hard wrap lines (done as a compromise, and for one
particular archive engine being used) makes messages hard to read.

Kathy
-- wondering whether this will wrap with =20 at the end of every line