Dan Lester <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 18 Apr 1996 22:51:15 MST
On Thu, 11 Apr 1996 09:23:00 EDT Peter M. Weiss +1 814 863 1843 said:
>If the listowner wants to "see" non-subscriber postings, then
>SEND= PRIVATE is not what should be used.  Instead, ou need
>"self-moderation," which is a subset of the anti-SPAM setup
>
>* SUBSCRIBE= OPEN,CONFIRM
>* SEND= EDITOR
>* EDITOR= a_real_editor_email_address,(listname)
>
>e.g.,
>
>* EDITOR= [log in to unmask],(ADS-L)
>
>Thus, any non-subscriber (non-exact match between poster and
>subscriber) will "bounce" to the first editor (you).  All ADS-L
>subscribers may post properly formatted mail messages to the
>list.  Editor, may post, ignore, and return to sender.
>
>QED.

    Exactly.  Except for weird lists like words-l, of which I'm a co-owner, I
can't imagine running a list these days without semimoderation as described
above.  When I get the same subject line of spam for twelve lists, I just
bulk delete without even checking ....  though may look at one to know who
to serve off.....in case they ever reuse that phone address.  but the
forwarding of other things to the list is quick and easy....as is the
ok cookie for the filtered usenet gateway.

cyclops

  Dan Lester, Network Information Coordinator
  Albertsons Library, Boise State University, Boise, Idaho 83725 USA
  [log in to unmask]             http://cyclops.idbsu.edu/
  How can one fool make another wise?  Kansas, "No One Together," 1979