Sat, 29 Oct 1994 20:21:38 -0500
On Fri, 28 Oct 1994, Roger Burns wrote:
> Douglas -- is it correct to presume that virtually all countries are
> signatories to the Berne convention?  Or conversely, are there countries
> whose citizens generate significant Internet e-mail which are not
> signatories to the Berne convention?

No, all countries are not signatories (the US is a fairly recent addition)
but probably the majority you would need to worry about for list purposes
(depending on your list(s)) are.

I believe (but don't guarantee) all English language countries (Australia,
Britain, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand and USA (don't know about Bermuda
and am not including former small possesions like Fiji which have several
"official" lanquages)) are now signatories.

I'm not sure about Mexico, and know nothing of Central America.  For
South America, some are, some aren't.

I belive all Western European countries are signatories, but probably most
Eastern European countries and the former Soviet Union countries are not.

Don't know about the Middle East or Africa, but mostly probably not.

China, no, and that probably applies to most fast growing Asian countries.
Don't know about Japan or Taiwan, but Hong Kong, as a protectorate, is
probably included, for now, under Britain.

Sorry I don't have a definite list for you,  I've always been most interested
in primarily US and other English language countries.  I'll see if I can
get you a current list, if you like.

Of course, you can always state that, until overturned in court, the
country in which your list originates (where your LISTSERV is physiclly
located) determines the copyright laws pertaining to the list.  That's
another thing still up in the air (ain't this just the most fun? ).

        Douglas Winship    Austin, Texas    [log in to unmask]
                    Secondary AUTOCAT Listowner