Rich Greenberg <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 7 Feb 2012 21:32:48 -0500
On: Tue, Feb 07, 2012 at 04:48:49PM -0700,Pat Letendre Wrote:

} If it's appropriate, I'd like to ask list members, based on their
} experience, what a typical percentage of subscribers on nomail is.
} Granted considerable variation will exist depending on the list, its
} subscribers, and how much routine housekeeping the listowner does.

Of the 2 dog lists i am owner of, one has 925 subscribers, with 357
nomail (more than I thought).  The other (smaller) list has 145 users
and 17 nomail.  These are of the last time I did a statistics run, about
3 months ago.

} For the list I'm currently cleaning up, about a third of subscribers
} (500+) are on nomail. My guess is that perhaps 10% are on nomail
} legitimately and the rest are de facto un-subscribed.

My initial reaction would be that a third was large until I looked at
mine.  :-)

} For interest, the list is for medical professionals in all
} disciplines, and over its 18 years it's only natural that some
} subscribers have preferred discipline-specific posts and set nomail
} instead of un-subscribing.

My suggestion would be to enable probing and auto-delete.  That will
dump the dead addresses in a cycle or two, and if you customize the
probe message, MAY tweak the users to reactivate or unsubscribe.

I use:  * Auto-Delete= Yes,Semi-Auto,Delay(5),Max(50)
and:    * Renewal= 6-monthly,Probe

You might (at least initially) want a shorter interval than 6 months and
if the list is low traffic, max less than 50.  The ROT I use for max() is
approximately the number of posts monthly.

If you have CHANGELOG enabled far back enough, you can see when they
went NOMAIL.

      * Change-Log= Yes

--
Rich Greenberg  Sarasota, FL, USA richgr atsign panix.com  + 1 941 378 2097
Eastern time.  N6LRT  I speak for myself & my dogs only.    VM'er since CP-67