Marianne Brosseau <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 19 Jun 1995 16:00:51 +0000
Dear Eric,

        As discussions have continued on the subject of banners,
it has become apparent that there are two different types of
digests that can exist.

         One is the type that Kevin was referring to (since I've
been participating with him in his list launching) in which the
messages to the list will be written by individuals who have a
copyright to their individual notes (without any requirement for
a copyright notice).    It is a listserv that is not being
planned in a corporate setting and one in which Kevin is not
planning to assert any personal copyright.

         It was not obvious to me (and presumably to others)
that your response was intended to apply to a corporate
setting  in which the *list-owner* *was* asserting a
copyright over *all* the individual messages included (and had a
legal right to do so) This is a completely different
set of circumstances which is only now becoming apparent as the
dialogue continues.

         In such a situation, it is, of course, *essential* that
a copyright of the *list-owner* *must* be included.   And, in
fact, such a copyright notice *over-rides* the presumed
copyright of the individual author (presuming that the
list-owner has the legal authority to do so)

       Now that you have explained the type of digest to which
you are referring, your response is comprehensible and appropriate.
Without this explanation, it was not.

The comment that:

> However, your work is better protected if it bears an explicit
> copyright

is irrelevant to a corporate list-owner who *must* post the
copyright notice in order to claim the copyright in the first
place over the individual messaages, and  in this instance, the
notice is *mandatory* .

By definition, the corporate
list-owner *must* post the copyright notice and thus will have
an opportunity to claim more and different damages.  Without the
copyright notice, not only could they not claim 'more and
different' damages, they could claim nothing at all since the
copyright could be considered to apply to the individual
authors.    And if these individual authors wished to enable
such protection, *they* would need to include the copyright
notice in their own messages (not have it added by the
list-owner)

> It is true that a notice strengthens the protection, by warning
> people, and by allowing one to get more and different damages, but
> it is not necessary.

        For a list-owner who is *not* planning to assert a
copyright over the individual messages (and cannot legally do
so), such a notice  is not necessary.

 If the individual author of a message wants to
take advantage of laws which might enable him or her to 'get
more and different damages' *the author* can include a copyright
notice on all his message.

The list-owner  of this type of list is *not obligated* to assist
them in this effort because he or she will have *no*
right to claim damages personally.    In fact, 'attempting'
to 'assist' may place an undue burden on the list-owner that
he may not wish to assume.

        So in summary, to return to Kevin's inquiry regarding the type of
list he is planning, the list-owner has *no responsibility*
and there is *no necessity* for him to place *any copyright
notice* on the digest at all.

         Regards,

Marianne