"Wayne T. Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 12 Jul 2000 17:26:14 -0400
A couple of weeks ago Rick Snyder wrote, in part..
> Hey LISTSERV veterans - please look over this newbie's proposed list headers ...

Everyone probably has their own pet set of list settings, but I always
consider or suggest ...

* Auto-Delete= Yes,Full-auto,Probe(60)

The "60" may or may not be right for any given server or list, but
LISTSERV is quite expert at fully managing your distribution problems.

* Change-Log= Yes

This cute little audit trail can be quite useful on rare occasions.  I
require it on every list at our site.

* Confirm-Delay= 96

LISTSERV's default of 48 hours means you can't enter a command
that requires an "ok" friday afternoon and then OK it Monday morning.

* Daily-Threshold= 50,5

Pick your own numbers; numbers that will stay out of the way unless
something really weird happens.

* Validate= All,Confirm

Don't let commands to LISTSERV be spoofed.

On your specifications ...

You have "Subscription= By_owner", but I would recommend
"Subscription= By_owner,Confirm", to eliminate "spoofed"
subscriptions.

You have "Reply-To= List,Ignore", but wanted replies to go to the list "by
default".  Maybe you want "Reply-To= List,respect"?

You can give anyone you wish the subscriber setting "editor" to allow there
postings to go through unmoderated.

Having 3 moderators means that timely OK of postings is *really*
important, since 2 of you will be wasting your time doing something
that the 3rd has already done. For every post by a non-editor.

Finally, you have "Subscription= By Owner".  Are there subscriptions that
you intend to disallow?  If not, I recommend "Subscription= Open,Confirm".
Unless you have "Notify=No", you will get notification of all subscriptions
(all are also in the change-log), and you've saved yourself some work.
Since subscribing doesn't let one post, all you've allowed is access to your
archives.  Speaking of archives ... if they're of a public nature, make them
PUBLIC instead of PRIVATE to save your web interface troubles getting
authenticated.

Hope this helps, wayne

Wayne T. Smith                       mailto:[log in to unmask]
Systems Group - UNET                 University of Maine System
LISTSERV maintainer for http://lists.Maine.edu/