Bill Harvey <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 1 Mar 1994 11:07:53 CST
On Mon, 28 Feb 1994 15:06:01 -0700, John Trimble <[log in to unmask]>
said:
>I have a list open to subscription on request to me. Several subscription
>requests have come with numerical return addresses like xyz@[128.121.50.145].
>Is there any way to look up the description of such addresses?

What does "description" mean?

If it means "hostname," then the short answer is: Yes.  But it depends
greatly on what operating system you use.  For UNIX, take a look at the
man page for the nslookup command.  For VM or MVS, check out the help
files for NSLOOKUP or DIG.  They are part of the TCP/IP program product.
For other operating systems, you should probably contact your system
support personnel.

If "description" means something else, then the short answer is: No.  But
it depends on what specific information you're looking for.

Feel free to let me know if any of this isn't clear.
Bill