Dan Lester <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 10 Aug 1996 16:23:01 MST
In case anyone has had problems with any of the lists at idbsu.idbsu.edu,
we had a somewhat similar problem with the soon-to-be-dead WestNet.  When
they updated their router tables on 7/31/96 they unfortunately did not
put in an entry for idbsu.edu at all.  Since it is an authoritative server
people were just told we didn't exist.  We didn't get on it as quickly
as we might have due to the weekend, vacations, and the fact that much
mail DID arrive via MCI in Stockton via our second T1 line.  The problem
was finally sorted out on Wed 7th and fixed late afternoon Thur 8th.

I wasn't directly involved in the resolution, so the info above is only from
"a reliable source on campus", but as an asst. postmaster and owner of some
fifteen lists here (and one who give support to sixty others in the library,
all of whom were pretty unhappy), I was pretty involved.

We all know that such things happen.  However, communicating that to a
pissy user is about as bad as the guy in the auto shop getting to tell you that
your car that just got out of warranty last month dropped a valve and
bent the crankshaft....

      cyclops, who has had better weeks

  Dan Lester, Network Information Coordinator
  Albertsons Library, Boise State University, Boise, Idaho 83725 USA
  [log in to unmask]             http://cyclops.idbsu.edu/
  How can one fool make another wise?  Kansas, "No One Together," 1979