Melvin Klassen <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 26 May 1994 15:15:15 PDT
On Thu, 26 May, 18:29 ET, Kenneth Blackwell <[log in to unmask]> :
> On my list I got a subscriber yesterday whose address is:

> and whose name is
>
>         Carleton Distribution
>
> Now "russell-l" happens :-) to be the name of my list, and "carleton" the
> name of an Ottawa university. Can anyone tell me what kind of fish I've
> caught, and more important how it's likely to behave in terms of posting
> to the list?
> Fingering the address produces an unknown host.

Correct.  The hostname 'CUNEWS.CARLETON.CA' has *no* 'TYPE=A' record
in the Internet name-server database, i.e., it is not "directly-connected"
to the Internet.  Note that the 'TYPE=MX' record in the database points
to the host 'BERTRAND.CCS.CARLETON.CA', and a check on that host reveals:

   VRFY RUSSELL-L
   250 <"|/usr/local2/shared/news-filter culist.russell-l">

i.e., an E-mail-to-news transformation-filter.

I think that you've located a helpful and considerate person at Carleton,
who wishes to make your mailing-list available via their "news" system.