Sun, 18 Apr 1999 20:23:24 -0500
On Sat, 17 Apr 1999, Bill Weylock wrote:
> Seems to me that when the header says that Reply-to = List, Respect, the
> default when replying is to send the reply to the list and to the poster.
>
> Is that correct?

No, it says that when the item is distributed by the list the
specific Reply-to: field in the header of his posting, in which case,
case replies will go only to the poster.

If you want the default to be both the list and the poster it should
be:
*  Reply-to= both, respect

where respect will kick it to a reply-to-poster-only mode when the poster
includes a specific Reply-to: field of his own.  This all assumes that
the subscriber in question has a mail system which properly reads and
processes the header.  Unfortunately, making such an assumption places
your sanity at risk.  That is part of why there are lots of options
for the subscriber to custumize his personal header options.

> Also, how do I set it up to reply only to the list, so that copying the
> poster is a manual option for the replying party?

That would be  Reply-to:= list   but you are still at the mercy of
the individual subscriber's mail system.

Welcome to the club, but be aware that long term listownership and
retention of sanity may be incompatible.

Douglas