Bill Harvey <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 12 Aug 1995 20:40:25 CST
On Wed, 9 Aug 1995 21:06:41 -0500, Winship <[log in to unmask]> said:
>                                    Is the reason I can't see the approval
>blurb, nor the "boundary" line, when looking at the item with the mail
>system, but can when I treat it as a simple file, due the "boundary"
>defined in the Content-Type: field in the header?

Probably.  It sounds like you have a Mime-capable mail reader.  The
same thing that allows LISTSERV to be able to accept your approval, and
distribute it as if it came from the original poster causes your
Mime-capable mail reader to process those "Content-Type" and
"boundary" lines.  I don't think there's anything you can do to fix
this...

The reason I say "probably" and not "definitely yes" is that, if this
is the explanation, I can't see why this hasn't come up before...  I
would think this problem would be much more prevalent than it appears
to be...

>      If so, can anything be done to ensure that the approval blurb will
>always be seen, regardless of the "boundary" definition?

Probably not...  I imagine it's dependent on your mail reader...

Eric would be better at this than I would, but, the only way I can
think of for LISTSERV to make this better would be to introduce an
option for LISTSERV to strip the mime headers before sending you the
message for approval, and then you'd have to use the HOLD mechanism to
get the original headers back for distribution...

Bill