Rich Greenberg <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 27 Jul 2000 21:50:29 -0700
On Jul 28,  3:29am, Joop wrote:

} Now I have another question though about adding members from
} another none Listserv list to our Listserv list in a bulk operation
} doing this by mail. I know that I could do that using the
} webinterface but as far as I could see after testing (and read in
} the manual) that would prevent the welcome message from being sent
} and due to the topic setup it is important that the added members
} receive that welcome file.
}
} I read this part below from the section: 4.4. Adding subscribers to
} lists in bulk
}
} ------ included part ----------
}
} [QUIET] ADD listname DD=ddname [IMPORT] PW=yourpassword
} //ddname DD *
} [log in to unmask] [*|full name]
} [log in to unmask] [*|full name]
} ...more users, one per line...
} [log in to unmask] [*|full name]
} /*
}
} For example (what fun:),
}
} ADD B5-L DD=MYDD IMPORT PW=BLAHBLAH
} //MYDD DD *
} [log in to unmask] John Sheridan
} [log in to unmask] Susan Ivanova
} [log in to unmask] Londo Mollari
} [log in to unmask] Citizen G'Kar
} /*
}
} ------ end included part -----
}
} I do understand this explanation except the DD part. What is this
} ddname mentioned above? Would that be a database part that I would
} have to setup first or the people at the host where our list is
} running?
} I remember using DD in the past for searching listarchives by mail
} buth then DD was "rules" on a older Listserv version in 1997
} (running on 1.8d now) and I can't imagine "rules" to be the correct
} ddname for adding members to the list on a mail bulk operation.
}
} Could you explain this ddname part to me about what it is and how
} it gets created or how I could find out what name to use for the
} bulk member add?

"DD" is "Data Definition,  and is an artifact left over from the days
when listserv lived and ran only on IBMish mainframes.

For the most part, its an arbitrary name.

--
Rich Greenberg   Work:  Rich.Greenberg atsign worldspan.com   +1 770-563-6656
N6LRT   Marietta, GA, USA   Play: richgr atsign netcom.com    +1 770-321-6507