"David W. Baker" <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 26 Apr 1995 14:57:12 GMT
> : >This means that if someone stops accessing his demon account, eight days
> : >later (and not before), the list administrators start getting bounces.
> : >Even if they remove the address right away from their lists, there are
> : >still 8 days worth of bounces pending, and furthermore, this may be
> : >periodically repeated for up to 31 days!   For high-volume lists (tens
> : >to hundreds of messages per day), this could result in literally
> : >hundreds to thousands of largely redundant bounce messages to the list
> : >administrators, all from ONE demon user, even after the user has been
> : >deleted from the list.  This severely impedes the ability of the list
> : >managers to run the list.
>
> This is correct, but surely this is the fault of the thoughtless person
> who has subscribed to a list and then never bothered to read their mail,
> rather than Demon as an Internet provider.

   Unfortunately, it is because of this problem that I, the owner of
Games-L, have most regrettably decided that I cannot support Demon users.
   Demon administrators have been responded poorly to my requests of
assistance, and when they have done so, their responses have been rude and
insulting. Their messages were more concerned with discrediting my
abilities and knowledge than somehow working out a mutually acceptable
solution. After a few days of messages from them, I explained that with
the current setup at demon.co.uk, I cannot support any users from there,
and that unless their messages will address that issue, please cease
correspondance with me.
   This problem is the fault of Demon as an Internet provider, not of one
thoughless person.
   If Demon administrators were more responsive, hopefully a solution
which is mutually adequate to both them, their users, and list owners such
as myself could be reached. However, as long as the possibility of
receiving error messages for 31 days of traffic remains, I cannot provide
access to my list to Demon users.

David W. Baker
Games-L List Owner

David W. Baker | [log in to unmask] | <URL:http://www.netspace.org/users/dwb/>