Melvin Klassen <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 1 Apr 1992 08:08:08 PST
On Wed, 1 Apr 1992, Linda Lopez McAlister <DLLAFAA@CFRVM> wrote:

>I got a request to subscribe to my list from someone who gave a
>Bitnet address as URSINUS, but nothing I try to send to that address
>gets through, and I keep getting a message asking if I've misspelled
>the host name.  Maybe the requester did?  But I don't think so.  Does
>anybody have any info on ursinus?

Revised BITNET tables are issued monthly.
These tables must be installed in both the RSCS machine (which sends
files over a BITNET link) and in each node's MAILER machine (which decides
if a file needs to be sent to the RSCS machine for delivery).
For example, here's the status of the tables in a few selected BITNET nodes:

INDYCMS  - URSINUS not in RSCS tables
         - MAILER tables last updated in August   1991
UGA      - URSINUS not in RSCS tables
         - MAILER tables last updated in December 1991
TEMPLEVM - URSINUS not in RSCS tables
         - MAILER tables last updated in February 1992
CFRVM    - URSINUS is in RSCS tables
         - MAILER tables last updated in February 1992
DUVM     - URSINUS is in RSCS tables
         - MAILER tables last updated in March    1992

If you send E-mail to 'LISTSERV@DUVM', and put the commands:
   SHOW NODE URSINUS
   SHOW PATH CFRVM URSINUS
you'll find that 'URSINUS' became connected to BITNET on 92/02/24,
and the routing information is:

     CFRVM -> CFR -> NER -> UMDD2 -> PUNFSV2 -> TEMPLEVM
     TEMPLEVM -> DUVM -> VILLVM -> URSR2D2 -> URSINUS

You'll have to get your system-administrators to install the newest set
of MAILER tables, before adding any users at this node to your list.
You'll also have to see that the RSCS and MAILER tables at the BITNET
node which hosts your mailing-list are also up-to-date!