Mon, 20 Dec 1999 06:37:29 EST
> Our central problem is that agreed conventions
>  about mail have been increasingly ignored in the interests of adding
>  bells and whistles to text, and mainly by Micro$oft, though they're
>  not the only offenders.  I don't _want_ my mailer opening files and
>  running programs I know nothing about, so I don't _use_ those
>  products.  As long as people keep buying them, LISTSERV can hardly be
>  configured in such a way as to prevent people from taking advantage
>  of those "capabilities" (Bugs or features? Depends on what you're
>  selling).

   What would you do about a company/hospital system/university that has a
site license for their in-house email system -- kick all their subscribers
off your mailing list?  As our list is considered an academic forum more than
half of my >2000 subscribers get their list mailings at work through the
employer's email client.  It would be far easier for us to switch to another
list manager like Lyris or Majordomo than to have half our subscribers get
their employers to change clients.  Large Listserv lists are now a very
efficient way to spread viruses.  That has not gone unnoticed by the
virologists.