Marco Ostini <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 7 Mar 2002 15:10:23 +1000
Greetings all

As you may have gathered from the subject of this message I'm running
Listserv Lite 1.8d on a Windows NT 4 SP5 server.

In fact I have inherited this server and listserv and I'm having a number
of serious problems.

I must also admit that in the past I administred a number of lists using
mercury on a Netware box - life was easier then...

So the first thing I did was to fire up site.exe and change the postmaster
to my email address and change the password.

Then I stopped and restarted the service of listserv & listserv-smtp on
the NT server for the changes to take effect.

After that I attempted to add users to one of the high-use lists we have
for staff in this school. - I was promply informed that I was not the
owner of that list.

So, being a bit of a hacker (NOT Cracker) I had a look in the .LIST file
for the list in question and edited the owner portion of it so that it was
my email address instead of my predecessor.

Now if I run:
    lcmd \\ourserver show lists
I get this lovely response quite a number of times;

>>> Error X'00280073' opening file C:\LISTSERV\MAIN\AS_STAFF.LIST <<<
 -> Severity: Error
 -> Facility: LFxxx routines
 -> Abstract: Internal file structure corrupted
 -> I/O mode: Record read

Please help me out of this. I need to:

        1) take control of all the lists
        2) repair the corruption in the as_staff list
        3) add and remove users as necessary - this is becoming critical

Thanks in advance

Marco